5 Things To Do In Liwa Oasis
If you’re looking for things to do in Liwa, this article is for you. Liwa Oasis is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the United Arab Emirates. Nestled between the Arabian Desert and Hajar Mountains, it’s a beautiful location with plenty of things to do — even if you only have 24 hours to spare. Here are just a few things you should definitely add to your list!
Top things to see in Liwa Oasis
Liwa Oasis is a desert oasis in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. It is one of the seven emirates that make up the country. Liwa Oasis is a very popular destination for recreational and tourism activities. The resort’s name reflects the connection between the oasis and a spring, which it shares with nearby Rukuba Rock Nature Reserve. The two are linked by an ascending road. Throughout the years, visitors have trekked up and down that road.
For those that have the time, it is a beautiful and photogenic walk. Overnight stays at all of the oases are available, so this one is definitely enjoyed by the entire family! Liwa has various theme days (as do most resorts) celebrating local culture such as Arts and Crafts, Dine-In-Ski, Safari and Horseback Riding, Food and Water Sports, etc.
Outdoor programs usually center around the macro and micro environments and include activities such as rock climbing, zip lining, hiking, treking, mountaineering (no helmets required!), etc. Programming can vary from a couple of hours high intensity to more relaxing. Liwa Oasis has many things to do for the whole family, whether you like to hike, rock climb, zip-line, or snowboard.
Cuisine and culture
There’s also a lot of multipath tracks where you can hike many different kinds of terrain. Regardless of which mode of transport you use, take lots of water with you because you might need it. We encourage you to follow the crowds and use public transportation in nearby towns. Liwa is mostly a family-run business. Many locals are involved in overseeing operations. If you want to extend your stay and get to know the oasis a bit better, you can book a villa with our partner company, Sanctuary. For more information, check them out here.
The best way to get around Liwa Oasis
One of the main attractions in Liwa Oasis is the Thermal Pool, a UNESCO World Heritage site. This natural hot spring has various benefits for your health, including higher levels of oxygen (Oxygen is one of the key elements involved in the production of Creatine). As a result of this natural hot spring, the average water temperature in this area is 102.4 degrees Fahrenheit! Starting in late April through to July, you can enjoy this genuine example of Middle Eastern relaxation in the hot and humidity-filled waters. Many modern amenities cover the hotel buildings, including restaurants and shopping centers. But you can indulge in relaxing activities right inside this UNESCO site. Liwa Oasis operates traditional sandboxes filled with pure, mineral water.
Insider tips on what to do in Liwa Oasis and where to stay
Here are some insider tips on what to do in Liwa Oasis and where to stay:
- If you don’t go during the Liwa Festival in March, you’ll miss out on the biggest annual festival in the UAE. This four-day event consists of various concerts, shows, workshops, and camping in the mountains. Fly into Doha or Dubai if that’s where you’re staying to avoid traveling halfway around the world.
- During the winter months, the resort offers snow tubing. Trips cost roughly $55 for a six-passenger ski unit, and $15 per passenger for a one-passenger vehicle. Older and smaller passengers may also enjoy the free shuttle service, as long as they fit within the capacity of the vehicle. It’s not recommended for kids under 12, and there is limited space for wheelchair users within the tubing area.
- Snorkeling and scuba diving are also popular activities to do at the safari park. Opened in 2018, Liwa Oasis has a variety of wildlife watching tours. For the really adventurous, the Liwa Oasis safari park is also home to camel safaris, viewing jellies, diving, and hiking.
- Across the street from the safari park, you can dip your toes in an artificial reservoir. Though it’s not a very deep pool, it is free and provides a soothing environment for you and your loved ones to enjoy a refreshing dip.
- Dig up a small hillside and enjoy a picnic at Liwa Oasis’s grassy promenade. The grass is vibrant and provides a great seating area for free. It’s a great place to chill out and eat a leisurely meal or even take a moment to admire the Liwa Oasis sign at the top.
How to get from Abu Dhabi to Liwa Oasis
The fastest and easiest way to get from Abu Dhabi to Liwa Oasis is by car. Both Liwa Oasis and Abu Dhabi are cities in the United Arab Emirates, so it’s best to get a rental car. You can do this at the airport. Before you get picked up by a driver from the airport, make sure to check in with the hotel staff for any special arrangements. The rental car company will usually provide an arrival name tag, room service, towels, jackets, bottled water, and a snack.
You’ll probably need to present your passport to the driver and hand him your boarding pass, but everything will be okay once you get to the hotel. For your stay in Liwa Oasis, make sure your room has good-quality sheets and pillowcases, a comfortable duvet or sleeping bag, reliable hot and cold water, good lighting, a good lamp, and a laptop with good connectivity.